Admission to the IEP is open to individuals
who are 18 years of age or older and/or have completed their secondary school
education. Admission to the IEP is separate from degree admission to USF and does not guarantee admission at a later time.
I. Application Requirements
All applicants must submit the following:
A. IEP Enrollment Form online or hard copy
B. U.S. $90 non-refundable application fee
International students also must submit:
C. Certificate of Finances form
D. Bank Statement or letter from your bank verifying funds
E. Copy of your Passport identity page
II. Application Instructions
A. IEP Enrollment Form
While filling out your IEP Enrollment Form, please print neatly in BLOCK LETTERS.
A non-refundable fee of $90 is required to cover the
application and courier service (FedEx) fees to mail the I-20 / acceptance
packet. Please DO NOT send cash. If outside the United States, use an International Bank Draft (through
a major bank in the United States in U.S. Dollars), Credit Card* valid in the
U.S. (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express) or Money Order in U.S. dollars payable to: University of San Francisco. Please
include your payment with your application.
* To pay the $90 application fee by credit card, click here.
C. Certificate of Finances form
1. Complete and sign the Certificate of Finances form and have the form signed by your guarantor (this may be a parent, sponsor or yourself).
2. If you have a sponsor they need to complete and sign the "Sponsor's Funds" section. Or, they can submit a short Letter of Support where they indicate the following: your full name; their full name and signature in English characters; that they are willing to provide financial assistance for your studies; and a copy of the supporting bank statement(s).
D. Bank Statement(s)
1. Submit a bank statement(s) that indicates enough financial funds for the total costs of the IEP program. This should include the cost of tuition, books, health insurance, housing and food (even if you will live with relatives), spending money, etc.
- The amount that needs to be certified for one session(A or B) is $6,662.
- The amount that needs to be certified for two sessions (A and B) is $11,699.
2. Bank statement(s) must show money held in checking, savings, certificates of deposit, or money market accounts. Stock/investment accounts and lines of credit cannot be used. Scholarships provided by your government or other agencies can be used for the Certification of Finances (include scholarship document or letter provided by your government or other agency).
We suggest you make two copies of the Certificate of Finances form and Bank Statement: (a) to take with you when you request your F-1 Visa from a U.S. consular official, to prove that you have sufficient funds to stay at USF, and (b) to bring with you when you arrive in the U.S. for immigration purposes.
E. Copy of passport
Please enclose a copy of your
Passport identity page.
III. Submit your Application
Due to the time it takes to process your F-1 Visa, applications are due 8 weeks prior to the beginning of your program. Please send all completed documents by mail, email, or fax to:
Intensive English Program
University of San Francisco
2130 Fulton Street, KA 204
San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
IV. Transfer Policy
If you are transferring to the IEP from another institution in the U.S.,
you must submit the following additional documents with your
application: (1) copy of F-1 Student Visa, (2) copy of I-20 form, and
(3) copy of I-94 card.
IV. Test Scores
No TOEFL score is required for admission to the IEP. However, if you
have taken the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), please submit a
photocopy of your Official Score Record.
The full application review process can take two to three weeks. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received, and only complete applications are reviewed.
Once your application has been reviewed an 1-20 will be mailed to you via FedEx, along with your IEP Letter of Acceptance, and further instructions. See Next Steps for more details.