Health insurance is an investment in your well-being and peace of mind.
Special programs are short term programs that generally last anywhere from one to six weeks.Students within special programs at the University of San Francisco are required to purchase health insurance for the duration of their intended stay prior to registration.
Students in certain special programs such as the Intensive English Program (IEP) will be automatically charged and enrolled in the USF sponsored health insurance plan provided through Aetna.
For more information on the USF-sponsored health insurance plan, including benefits, cost, and claims, visit Student Plan.
Special program students that are not automatically charged and enrolled in the USF sponsored health insurance plan must purchase health insurance coverage for their intended stay at USF. These students have the option of purchasing the USF-sponsored health insurance plan online.
The following payment methods are accepted:
- Credit card (Visa or Mastercard only).
To purchase the health insurance, follow these steps (Non IEP students only):
- Go to the Aetna Member Navigator Website.
- In the left navigation menu, click on "Medical Plan: Enroll."
- Click on the submenu "Special Program Students."
- Click on "Enroll: Special Program Students and Dependents."
- Follow the prompts to enter all the necessary information to enroll.
- After entering all the necessary information, pay using a Visa or Mastercard.
Students who already have a health insurance plan comparable to or better than the USF-sponsored health insurance may petition to waive the health insurance requirement by the appropriate deadline.
Special program students that are not automatically charged and enrolled in the USF sponsored insurance plan must submit a complete health insurance waiver prior to registration.
Note: If you are unsure if you will be automatically enrolled in the USF sponsored insurance plan please contact HPS at 415-422-5797.
Intensive English Program (IEP):
Session A : 5/19/2014-06/27/2014
The waiver deadline for IEP students within Session A is
Friday, May 30, 2014 at 5pm.
Session B: 6/30/2014-8/8/2014
The waiver deadline for IEP students within Session B is
Friday, July 11, 2014 at 5pm.
Masters in Global Entrepreneurial Management (MGEM):
The waiver deadline for MGEM students is Friday, July 7, 2014 at 5pm.
In order to be eligible for a waiver, a student's health insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Policy must be in English.
- Policy must be underwritten by a U.S.-domiciled (U.S.-based) insurance company Or the company has an office/branch in the United States.
- Policy must include accident and medical coverage (include illness/preventive care, prescription, no limit on hospital stay/emergency room except for the co-insurance and deductible).
- Health plan must offer a maximum benefit of at least $500,000 in coverage per benefit year.
- Deductible no greater than $200 dollars.
- Medical evacuation minimum of $10,000 in coverage.
- Repatriation minimum of $7,500 in coverage.
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered.
- Includes provision for co-insurance that does not exceed 20%.
- Coverage cannot exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the program in which the visitor participates.
Note: Students should not purchase insurance from their home countries as it will not meet the University's requirements.
Instructions on how to submit the waiver:
- Download the Health Insurance Waiver Form for International Students (PDF).
- Fill out the form completely, including full name, student ID, email address, and insurance information. And sign it.
- Attach proof of your insurance coverage. Proof must be in the form of a summary of benefits and coverage in English.
- A copy of your insurance card.
- Attach a proof of Repatriation and Medical evacuation coverage if your health insurance does not provide it.
Submit waiver form application and supporting documentation to Health Promotion Services in University Center, Fifth floor. Forms must be submitted in person or by email to email@example.com. Please note: Waiver applications that do not include sufficient documentation will not be approved.