Health insurance is an investment in your well-being and peace of mind.
||Any number of credit hours
||Required. Automatically enrolled and charged for insurance
For more information on the USF-sponsored health insurance plan, including benefits, cost, and claims, visit Student Plan.
All international students registered for one unit or more will be automatically enrolled in and charged for the USF- sponsored health insurance plan.
Print Insurance ID Card
Students who already have a health insurance plan comparable to or better than the USF- sponsored health insurance may petition to waive the health insurance requirement. Students are expected to maintain comparable health insurance coverage at all times during their waiver period. However, if a student’s health coverage is dropped, it is the student’s responsibility to contact Health Promotion Services to discuss their options at email@example.com or 415.422.5797. Students who have waived their health insurance in Fall 2013, they do not need to waive the Spring 2014 coverage.
Health Insurance Plans NOT accepted by USF
This is a short list.
- ASPE insurance (It is not sold by US State Department)
- All travel and accident plans
- PSI Health Insurance
- Compass Health Insurance
- Study USA- Health Care, The insurance company of the State of Pennsylvania
- Reliance General Insurance
- Travel and Accident plans by United Health Care
These health insurance plans are NOT accepted because they have many limitations and exclusions for medical services.
To waive the insurance requirement, your insurance plan must be comparable to or better than the USF Sponsored Health insurance plan.
Criteria for waiving the health insurance requirement:
Please be advised these are general criteria and all health plans will be reviewed by the University insurance broker to ensure the plan meets USF requirement.
- Policy must be in English.
- Policy must be underwritten by a U.S.-domiciled (U.S.-based) insurance company. Or the company has an office/branch in the United States.
- Policy must include accident and medical coverage (include illness/preventive care, prescription, no limit on hospital stay/emergency room except for the co-insurance and deductible).
- Health plan must offer a maximum benefit of at least $500,000 in coverage per benefit year.
- Deductible no greater than $200 dollars.
- Medical evacuation minimum of $10,000 in coverage.
- Repatriation minimum of $7,500 in coverage.
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered.
- Includes provision for co-insurance that does not exceed 20%.
- Coverage cannot exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the program in which the visitor participates.
Instructions on how to submit the waiver:
- Download the Health Insurance Waiver Form for International Students (PDF).
- Fill out the form completely, including full name, student ID, email address, and insurance information. And sign it.
- Attach proof of your insurance coverage. Proof must be in the form of a statement of coverage (benefits and exclusions) in English.
- A copy of your insurance card.
- Attach a proof of Repatriation and Medical evacuation coverage if your health insurance does not provide it.
Submit waiver form application and supporting documentation to Health Promotion Services in University Center, Fifth floor. Forms must be submitted in person or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: Waiver applications that do not include sufficient documentation will not be approved.
Students who wish to waive the insurance requirement must do so by the deadline.
- The waiver deadline for the Spring 2014 semester is Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 5pm.