WHAT is a BMI?
BMI (Brief Motivational Intervention) is an interaction, a conversation or a motivational interview about alcohol awareness. A BMI consists of a 40-minute session with a trained Peer Educator. BMI sessions are designed to be confidential, non-judgmental, and supportive.
The goals of BMIs are to educate students on responsible drinking, to reduce alcohol related harm/consequences to self and others, and to assist students in clarifying and resolving any ambivalence about their drinking behaviors.
Instructions for Scheduling a BMI
Students required to attend a BMI must schedule and attend their appointment before their instructed deadline. Please follow these instructions to schedule your BMI session:
- Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
- Go to hps.checkappointments.com.
- Selecting "No preference" will set you up with someone available at the time you schedule your appointment under "select a staff." You may also select a Peer Educator by his/her name.
- Click "NEXT" and select "BMI session" under "select a service."
- Click "NEXT" and select the date on the calendar you are available.
- To the right, click on the time you are available on the date you selected and click "NEXT."
- Lastly, enter your last name, first name, email address, and click "SAVE."
- A summary of appointment details will appear including the name of the Peer Educator, date and time, service, and the location where the BMI will take place.
- Print that page for your records.
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address you have provided.
Alcohol eCHECKUP Requirements
You are responsible for completing the university's Alcohol eCHECKUP TO GO self-evaluation prior to your BMI session.
- To take eCHECKUP, go to the eCHECKUP website.
- Save your eCHECKUP User Identification Number (UID) for future reference.
- Bring a print-out of the eCHECKUP to your BMI session.
- Appointments will take place in the University Center on the 5th Floor.
- Check-in at the 5th floor front desk and state that you have an appointment with a Peer Educator.
- You will meet with a Peer Educator for a BMI session and will receive a stamp and signature on eCHECKUP print-out upon completion of the session.
Cancellations are accepted up to 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. You may cancel your appointment by viewing your confirmation email and
selecting "Click here."
Note: If you fail to appear to your scheduled appointment, this could result in a hold being placed on your account at USF, along with any further consequences given by your Conduct Officer or Program Coordinator.