Health insurance is an investment in your well-being and peace of mind.
||Any number of credit hours
||Required. Automatically enrolled and charged for insurance
For more information on the USF-sponsored health insurance plan, including benefits, cost, and claims, visit Student Plan.
All international students registered for one unit or more will be automatically enrolled in and charged for the USF- sponsored health insurance plan.
Print Insurance ID Card
Students who already have a health insurance plan comparable to or better than the USF- sponsored health insurance may petition to waive the health insurance requirement. Students are expected to maintain comparable health insurance coverage at all times during their waiver period. However, if a student’s health coverage is dropped, it is the student’s responsibility to contact Health Promotion Services to discuss their options at email@example.com or 415.422.5797. Students who have waived their health insurance in Fall 2013, they do not need to waive the Spring 2014 coverage.
Health Insurance Plans NOT accepted by USF
This is a short list.
- ASPE insurance (It is not sold by US State Department)
- All travel and accident plans
- PSI Health Insurance
- Compass Health Insurance
- Study USA- Health Care, The insurance company of the State of Pennsylvania
- Reliance General Insurance
- Travel and Accident plans by United Health Care
These health insurance plans are NOT accepted because they have many limitations and exclusions for medical services.
To waive the insurance requirement, your insurance plan must be comparable to or better than the USF Sponsored Health insurance plan. To waive Click Here
Criteria for waiving the health insurance requirement:
Please be advised these are general criteria and all health plans will be reviewed by the University insurance broker to ensure the plan meets USF requirement.
- Policy must be in English.
- Health plan must be provided by a U.S based insurance company, with a U.S claims payment office and phone number.
- Policy must include accident and medical coverage (include illness/preventive care, prescription, no limit on hospital stay/emergency room except for the co-insurance and deductible).
- Health plan must offer an unlimited policy year benefit maximum.
- Deductible no greater than $200 dollars.
- Must cover expenses associated with the medical evacuation to home country in the amount of $50,000.
- Must provide coverage for repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000.
- Pre-existing conditions must be covered.
- Health plan must have an annual out of pocket maximum of $6,350(individual)/$12,700(family) or less
- Includes provision for co-insurance that does not exceed 20%.
- Coverage cannot exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the program in which the visitor participates.
- Plan must cover hospital stay for all medical, surgical and mental health/substance abuse conditions without limitations
Submit Health Insurance Waiver (follow steps 1-6):
- Download the Health Insurance Waiver Form for International Students (PDF).
- Fill out the form completely, including full name, student ID, email address, and insurance information. And sign it.
- Attach proof of your insurance coverage. Proof must be in the form of a statement of coverage (benefits and exclusions) in English. Sample: review pages 5-17
- Attach a copy of your insurance card.
- Attach proof of Repatriation and Medical evacuation coverage (If your health insurance does not provide it.
- Submit all insurance waiver documents online . Click Here