Dr. Margerum graduated from Dartmouth in 1980 with a BA in
chemistry and a senior thesis for Dr. Russ Hughes in organometallic
chemistry. He was also a quarterback on the Dartmouth Football
team, earning All-Ivy honors as a senior punter. During the next 5
years, he was a graduate student under Dr. Tom Meyer and Dr. Royce
Murray at the University of North Carolina. He completed the PhD in
inorganic photochemistry and electrochemistry in 1985 and moved to
UCLA for post-doctoral work under Dr. Joan Valentine (bio-inorganic
Dr. Margerum started his professional career in 1987 at the Clorox
Technical Center investigating such areas as bleach stable metal
chelates. In 1991, he moved to Nycomed Salutar Imaging in
Sunnyvale, CA, leading a team of scientists developing a Gd(III)
contrast agent for blood imaging. In 1995, he joined USF as
assistant professor of analytical and inorganic chemistry. He
currently has undergraduate and masters students exploring the
following research areas:
- The Effect of Dendrimer Size and pH on the Binding of Metal
Complexes using electrochemistry.
- Immobilized Dendrimers as Platforms for Multivalent Binding of
Metal Ions using spectroscopy techniques and solid-phase
- Implementing technology-based learning tools for chemical
education (OWL, CPR, clickers in the classroom, POGIL).
He teaches courses in general, analytical and inorganic
- "Integrated Laboratory Project Using Cyclic Voltammetry," A.
Kulczynska, R. Johnson, T. Frost and L. D. Margerum, J. Chem. Educ., 2011, 88, 801-805.
- "Indicator displacement assays for amino acids using Ni-NTA
tethered to PAMAM dendrimers on controlled pore glass," M. J.
Greaney, M. A. Nguyen, C.-C. Chang, A. Good and L. D. Margerum,
Chem. Commun. (Cambridge, U.
K.), 2010, 46, 5337-5339.
- "Effect of PAMAM Dendrimers on *Ru(bpy)32+ Emission Quenching by
Ferrocyanide and on ANS Fluorescence: Quantitative Binding
Parameters as a Function of Dendrimer Size, pH, and Buffer
Composition," Frost, T.; Margerum, L. D. Macromolecules, 2010, 43, 1218-1226.
- "Copper(II) complexes of a biphenyl-based ligand: Tuning the
needs of the metal with those of the ligand." Malachowski, M. R.;
Kasto, A. S.; Adams, M. E.; Rheingold, A. L.; Zakharov, L. N.;
Margerum, L. D.; Greaney, M. Polyhedron, 2009, 28, 393-397.
- "Application of Calibrated Peer Review (CPR) writing assignments
to enhance experiments with an environmental chemistry focus,"
Margerum, L. D.; Gulsrud, M.; Manlapez, R.; Rebong, R.; Love, A.,
J. Chem. Educ., 2007, 84, 292-294.
- "Synthesis, structure, redox properties and azide binding for a
series of biphenyl-based Cu(II) complexes," Chen, J.; Russo, R.;
Chao, W.; Margerum, L. D.; Malachowski, M. R.; White, R.; Thawley,
Z.; Thayer, A.; Rheingold, A. L.; Zakharov, L. N., Dalton Trans., 2007, 24, 2571-2579.
- "Effect of PAMAM Dendrimer Size and pH on the Electrostatic
Binding of Metal Complexes Using Cyclic Voltammetry," Kulczynska,
A.; Frost, T.; Margerum, L. D., Macromolecules, 2006, 39, (21), 7372-7377.