In its over 100-year history, the Ignatian Literary Magazine has had many names and titles. The original Ignation, released in 1910, served as a literary journal, alumni magazine, and sports report for the university. In 1924, the Ignatian changed directions to become USF’s annual yearbook, known as The Don. In the 1930s and 40s, The Don became the San Francisco Literary Quarterly (SFLQ), publishing writings by faculty, staff, and students. In 1960s, a magazine called The Gaviota replaced the SFLQ. During this time, the magazine moved off of the USF campus after the publication’s editors felt that their freedom of expression was being threatened.
After a hiatus in the 1970s, USF's student newspaper, The Foghorn, collected and occasionally published student work in a special section. In 1988, the Ignatian was revived due to student interest and renewed ASUSF funding, though it appeared in a newspaper format for several years.