California Administrative Code, Title 16, Article 3, Section 1429.
The purpose of the 30-unit option for licensed vocational
nurses (LVNs) is to provide the nursing coursework and clinical practice
for the LVN so that person will be eligible to apply for the
examination for licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of
California. The RN license obtained by this method may not be accepted
by all states.
This option is NOT part of the University of San Francisco
baccalaureate nursing program and does NOT lead to a BS in Nursing
degree nor any other degree.
In order to participate in this option, the student must:
- Be a licensed vocational nurse.
- Have completed the application process at USF as a
matriculated student or as a "Special Status" student.
- Have a successfully completed courses in physiology
and microbiology comparable to such courses as required for licensure as
a Registered Nurse.
Course Work to be Completed
After completion of courses in physiology with lab and
microbiology with lab with a "C" grade or better, for a total 8 credits,
the following courses will be completed:
- NURS - 230 Conceptual Foundations of Professional
- NURS - 240 Assessment of Human Response I
- NURS - 250 Clinical Lab I
- NURS - 330 Nursing Therapeutics II
- NURS - 350 Clinical Lab III
- NURS - 450 Clinical Lab V
- NURS - 461 Leadership in Managed Care Systems
Total Nursing Credits: 23
- BIOL - 115 Survey of Human Physiology
- BIOL - 116 Laboratory in Survey of Human Physiology
- BIOL - 134 Microbiology
- BIOL - 135 Laboratory in Microbiology
Total Credits: 30/31