The Department of Biology offers a program designed to prepare students for a broad spectrum of careers in the life sciences. The Biology major curriculum provides the opportunity to satisfy all requirements for admission to professional schools (e.g., medical, dental, pharmacy and veterinary schools) and graduate programs.
- Lay the foundation of a common core of Biology and supporting courses.
- Provide access to the most recent concepts, techniques and instrumentation in biology.
- Offer a diversity of lecture, laboratory and field courses that reflects the various facets of biology.
- Give students ample opportunities for significant research experiences at the undergraduate level.
- Provide to students interested in health-related and other professional post-graduate schools, the best and most comprehensive information available on curricula and graduate programs.
- Establish a framework for the consideration of the ethical issues and responsibilities inherent in the application of science and technology.
- Foster the Jesuit ideal of an educational atmosphere where learning continues outside the classroom and beyond a baccalaureate degree.