University Adviser, Director of Academic Coaching and Student Development Programs
Areas of Interest:
- Academic Coaching/Support:
- Undeclared/Exploratory Students
- First-Year Students (Committee member of First-Year and Students in Transition Seminar Program, College of Arts and Sciences)
- First Generation College Students
- Students "at risk", students in crisis and students on academic probation
- Students taking and/or returning from a Leave of Absence
- Students managing mental health issues and/or other disabilities
- High-achieving students, (e.g. University Scholars, honors students)
Year Started at USF: 1998
Hometown: Hamilton, NY (that's in central NY, near Syracuse)
- BA, World Literature and Cultural Studies, University of California, Santa Cruz
- MA, Counseling Psychology, (with Pupil Personnel Services Credential), University of San Francisco
- Core Strengths Coaching Certificate, San Francisco State University, Extended Learning
- National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
- I love being an Auntie to my niece and two nephews.
- I had no idea what my "career" would be when I was an undergraduate student, but I studied what I loved, (literature and different cultures). My life experiences after I graduated college, and went back to school for my Master's degree, led me to this current job, and a career that I love!
- I went to a public school that was K-12th grade and there were less than 50 students total in my class, (we started kindergarten together and graduated together).
- I love quotes! "Yes is a world and in this world of yes live all worlds" - e.e. cummings
- I am a fan of design blogs, life coaching blogs and crafty blogs.
- I go to Fusion Rhythms dance class at Rhythm and Motion/ODC dance studio as many times a week as I can, and I believe in yoga and meditation for my health and well-being, and try to practice both regularly.
- My guilty pleasures are Fran's chocolate and sea salt caramels, (perfection!), watching Fashion Police on E!, thrift store shopping, and reading magazines.
- I keep an on-going list of restaurants, websites and things to check-out in the bay area.
- I love music and have kept almost all of my concert tickets from shows over the years.
- Call me nerdy, but I love organizing and organizational tools, (pens, folders, clips, extra-sticky stickies, calendars, pretty notebooks). My latest favorite organizational app is Trello.
- My Myers-Briggs type is INFJ "Intuitive Feeler".
- My Strong Interest Inventory type is A.S.I. (Artistic, Social, Investigative), (yes, I like doing assessments), and my top 5 "signature strengths" are: (1) appreciation of beauty and excellence, (2) gratitude,(3) fairness, (4) capacity to love and be loved, and (5) curiosity, (ask me more about positive psychology assessments!).
Email: Shona Doyle
Phone: (415) 422-2870