Are there any prohibited items?
How do I correctly classify hard-to-classify expenses?
- Dues: Examples include monthly membership payments or one-time entry fees into museums or athletic events
- Gifts non-cash: Examples include birthday cards or sympathy flowers
- Meal Allotment: This is a fixed amount (per day) for the Athletics, Arts & Sciences, International Relations, and School of Management departments only. If you are interested in participating in USF's meal allotment program, please consult your business manager
- Reception - 10 or greater: Use this for traditional receptions or when a meal is attended by 10 or more individuals. Remember to include the number of attendees and their affiliation with USF (e.g. faculty staff, student or guest). This expense type should only be used for the purchase of food or beverages; supplies for a reception will still be classified under Office & Other Supplies
- Other or Other Operating Expense: These should be used ONLY when no other choice is available.
How do I change my fund?
- Click on the downward arrow within the Fund box to select the appropriate fund choice
- Once you are done, click Save at the bottom of your screen to apply your changes
- If you realize you’ve made an error, simply click Cancel at the bottom of your screen, and your default settings will be restored or change the information and click save again
- The same can be done for Organization and Program codes
Why don’t the expenses under $50 show up on my fax coversheet?
USF does not require receipts for mileage expenses, nor do we require receipts for expenses of $49.99 or less. However, we encourage you to submit all of your receipts, including those for expenses of $50 or greater.
Can I receive e-mail reminders from the Concur Expense Service?
Yes - you may establish which reminders you receive by selecting Profile at the top of your My Concur homepage, then Personal Information, and lastly Expense Preferences. When in your expense preferences, under the "Send email when..." header, select when you would like to receive emails by clicking in the boxes on the left of the options. Click save when finished.
What if I have expenses for a grant (Funds that begin with “4”)?
- The steps for reconciling expenses that are charged to a grant budget are as follows:
- Complete training in the Concur Travel & Expense system
- Work with USF's grants accountant in the Business & Finance Office to discuss specific grant requirements
- Once Purchasing Card Services receives confirmation from the grants accountant, your budget number can be added to your Concur account for future reports
Please do not create an expense report for a grant charge if you have not completed the steps above and received confirmation that the budget number has been added to Concur.
How long does it take to get reimbursed for an out of pocket expense?
It takes 5 business days or less to process a completed expense report, provided you have a Direct Deposit Form on file with Disbursements Services. It then can take additional 3-5 business days (depending on your bank) for the funds to post to your bank account. Alternatively, a physical check will be mailed to your home address after at least 10 business days, if you do no have a Direct Deposit Form on file with Accounts Payable.
Cash Advance requests and Reconciliation
Cash Advances must be requested at least 5 business days prior to the date in which the advance is needed. You must submit an expense report for the entire cash advance amount taken within 30 days of issuance. Any unused portions of the advance must be returned to USF.
Can Cash Advances be direct deposited into my bank account?
Yes - if you have a Direct Deposit Form on file with Disbursement Services, the funds from approved cash advance requests will be directly deposited into your account.
How do I receive cash in-hand for a Cash Advance request?
To receive cash in-hand from the University cashier, note within the comment box of your Concur Cash Advance request that you would like to receive cash on a specific date, and you will be contacted when it is ready for pick up at the Business & Finance Office, LMN, 3rd floor.
If you require specific denominations, please specify this within your request. Always list the dates of travel if your advance is associated to USF related travel.
What does “Extracted for Payment” mean?
This means the expense report has been approved by Accounting and the payment record is with the Disbursement Services (if reimbursement is appropriate). Payment will be made by direct deposit or by physical check.
What do I do if I accidentally made a personal purchase on my University purchasing card?
Remembering it is against purchasing card policy to do so and after vowing to not do it again… you click the box “personal expense (do not reimburse),” then cut a check to USF and deliver it to Anna Kessel, LMN 3rd floor with a comment about the personal purchase in the memo line.
In the unlikely event you incur a personal expense, if you submit amounts owed to you in the same expense report with the expense marked as personal, the expense system will subtract out the personal amount from your reimbursement.
What are some of the advanced features of Concur?
I. Break out (itemize) a charge into parts
(e.g. deem a part as personal) you no longer have to break out all hotel expenses if there is a detailed hotel folio provided along with your business substantiation. Movie purchases and laundry services while staying at hotels will need to be itemized, but meal, parking, and internet expenses do not have to be itemized.
- After reconciling the expense that needs to be itemized, instead of choosing the save option at the bottom of the screen, click itemize
- The new itemization window will open up
- The choose an expense type box will appear in the new itemization window. Select the appropriate expense type and enter in the amount of the itemization. Continue this process until the full amount of this expense has been itemized and the balance in the remaining field is $0.00.
- If you are itemizing a personal expense that should not be reimbursed by USF, select the Personal Expense (do not reimburse) check box when in the actual itemization expense window.
- Complete the required and optional fields as usual
- When done, click Save
II. Allocating an expense to multiple charging organizations
- When in your expense report, select the expenses that you would like to allocate by clicking on the boxes on the left hand side of each expense
- A window will appear on the right hand side of the screen. Select option number 2, Allocate
- When the allocations window appears, you will have the option to allocate by amount or percentage. The allocate by button will allow you to choose how you would like to allocate your expenses
- After keying in the amount of percentage that you would like to allocate your expenses by, you can change the fund, organization and programs codes. By clicking within the fund, organization, and/or program code boxes, a drop down arrow will appear on the right. Use that arrow to find and select the appropriate chose(s) for your allocation.
- When the expenses have been fully allocated, click save at the bottom of the window. After you click save, you will need to click done at the bottom of the window.
- After you click on done, you will be taken back to your expense report. You will see a pie chart next to all expenses that have been allocated.
III. Scanning and Faxing Receipts
Scanning Receipts (upload the images)
- When in the expense report, click on the Receipts drop down button, which is on the right hand side of the screen below the Submit Report button
- Click on Attach Receipt Images
- Click Browse and navigate to the folder with your image and select the file
- Select file and Click Attach
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all files you want to upload are listed - the limit is 10 then click Done
- When in the expense report, click on the Print drop down button, which is on the right hand side of the screen below the Submit Report button
- Click on USF Fax Receipt Cover Page option. Please note that this page must be printed out and accompanied with all receipt images
- Print out the USF Fax Receipt Cover Page. Fax the cover page along with your receipts to the 866 number listed at the top of the page
You may view your receipt images after a short period of time by clicking the View Receipts link associated with your expense report. NOTE: If you do not view receipts you may get a warning message that you must fax/scan receipts before submitting report. If you fax your receipts into Concur, it make take longer to see your images due to the number of fax transmittals that Concur receives.
IV. Associate my cash advance to my expense report
- When in the expense report, click on the details drop down button which is located below the name of your expense report
- Under the cash advances heading, click on available. The Cash Advances page appears. Any outstanding approved and issued cash advances appear on this page
- Click in box on the right hand side of each advance that you would like to associate to your report.
- Click Assign Cash Advance to Report at the bottom of the cash advance window. The amount of the advance(s) will be deducted from the report.
Please note: If your cash advance is greater than the expenses you incurred you will be required to return the remainder to USF and do the following:
- Click on New Expense on the left hand side of the screen under the expense report name. Choose the expense type cash advance return from the expense-type listing. Enter the unused amount of the advance in the amount box
- To reimburse the University, you can provide a check and send it to the Business & Finance Office, LMN 3rd Floor
- Please include the title of the expense report that is associated to the cash advance return in the memo line of the check
V. As an approver, send a report for additional approval
- When in the expense report that needs additional approval, click on the Details drop down option on the left hand side of the screen
- Click Approval Flow. To add another approver, click on the blue arrow to the right of the "Approval for Processing" box
- Begin typing in the Last Name of the approver that you wish to add to the approval flow process in that box
- Once the approver's name appears, click on the name which will begin to appear below the box as you are typing
- Once you are done, you may click Save Workflow to process the report forward
- After clicking Save Workflow, you will be back in the expense report. Once you approve the expense report, it will be routed to the approver that was added to the approval flow process.
- If you realize you’ve made an error, go back to the approval flow screen before approving the report, and click in the box with the red "X" in it on the right of the added approver's name to remove their name and then click Save Workflow.