The Department of Chemistry welcomes Professor Ryan West!
The Department of Chemistry welcomes our new professor starting
in Summer 2015. Click here for his biography.
Graduate student performs research in Taiwan during the Spring 2015 semester.
Giel Muller, a graduate student in Dr. Meloni's lab, performed research at the Taiwan Light Source in Hsinchu City, Taiwan during Spring 2015. Dr. Meloni has sent other graduate students to perform research at the Paul Scherrer Institute (Swiss Light Source) near Zurich, Switzerland in the past.
Professor Li delivers lecture at the Royal Society of Chemistry.
Dr. Jie Jack Li delivered a lecture on "Bioisosteres" at the Royal Society of Chemistry on February 26, 2015 in London, UK.
Student receives the Ron Najafi NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Innovations and Entrepreneurship Award for Graduate Research.
Dr. Najafi presented
Jonathan Liu, a graduate student in Dr. Margerum's lab, a $1,000 award for summer research support at the chemistry
banquet in May 2014. (Jon is pictured to the right with Dr. Najafi and the undergraduate award winner.)
Dr. Giovanni Meloni receives the College of Arts and Sciences 2014 Dean’s Scholar Award in recognition of his research.
Dr. Giovanni Meloni is recognized for his research on the identification and characterization of reactive atmospheric and combustion chemical species. Utilizing
state-of-the-art techniques in computational research, Professor Meloni has
discovered several never detected molecular species including peroxy radicals
and the simplest criegge intermediate. Additionally, Professor Meloni has
investigated biofuels and their applications in reducing dependence on foreign
oil sources. Currently, Professor Meloni is investigating a unique
superalkali, and has published his findings in the Journal of Chemical Physics.
USF student wins best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the ACS National Meeting.
Joseph Czekner (in photo to the left), won the best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the 243rd ACS National Meeting in San Diego, CA.
Recent M.S. Student Presentations
248th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, August 10-14, 2014, San Francisco, CA
247th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, March 16-20, 2014, Dallas, TX
- “Exploring synthetic routes to robust preparation of S-ribosyl-L-homocysteine (SRH),” Brendan Corcoran, Emily I Showell-Rouse, and Megan E Bolitho.
- “Metal ion detection through terpyridine functionalized dye doped silica nanoparticles,” Jonathan J. Liu and Lawrence D. Margerum.
- “Surface modified silica nanoparticles as fluorescent chemosensors for metal ions detection,” Kateryna Lyashkevych, Lawrence Margerum, and Clara Feider.
- “FTIR analysis of biofuel and atmospheric aerosol interactions,” Audrey R. Smith, Giel Muller, and Giovanni Meloni.
- “Low temperature oxidation of furfural using synchrotron photoionization mass spectroscopy,” Rong Yao, Gabrielle Anne L Laguisma, David Osborn, Craig Taatjes, Giovanni Meloni.
245th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA
- “Investigation of oxidation reaction products of 2-phenylethanol using synchrotron photoionization,” Magaly Wooten, Anthony Medrano, David L. Osborn, Craig A. Taatjes, and Giovanni Meloni.
- “Experimental study on the reactions of three furans with the methylidyne (CH) radical utilizing synchrotron photoionization mass spectrometry,” Kenneth Smith, Hanna Lafranconi and Giovanni Meloni
- "Computational Screening for Potential LuxS Inhibitors," Keeshia Wang and Megan E. Bolitho