Dr. Meloni sends graduate student to Switzerland to perform research.
Dr. Giovanni Meloni sent Joe Czekner, a graduate student researcher in his lab, to perform research at the Paul Scherrer Institute (Swiss Light Source) near Zurich, Switzerland this summer.
Martin Y. Ng just started the Ph.D. program at the University of Pennsylvania. Also attending Ph.D. programs are Shengnan (Shane) Meng at the University of South Carolina, Amelia Ray (December 2010) at UC San Diego and Matt Greaney at USC working in Richard Brutchey's research lab. Qian (Cailyn) He (May 2011) started a new position at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.
USF student wins best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the ACS National Meeting.
Joseph Czekner (in photo to the right), won the best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the 243rd ACS National Meeting in San Diego, CA from March 25-29, 2012.
Recent M.S. Student Presentations
243rd ACS National Meeting and Exposition, March 25-29, 2012, San Diego, CA:
- "Investigation of Low temperature Oxidation reactions of Methyl Butyrate and Etyl Butyrate using Photoionization Mass Spectrometry," Joseph Czekner and Giovanni Meloni
- "Water structure making/breaking properties of added "simple" salts drive systematic shifts in the spectroscopic ligand-to-metal and intervalence-transfer (Frank-Codon) absorption bond energies of aqueous mononuclear and binuclear ruthenium ammine complexes," AJ Fabrizio, Seamus Doran, Shengnan Meng, Robert Yegge and Jeff C. Curtis
241st ACS National Meeting and Exposition, March 27-31, 2011, Anaheim, CA:
58th Annual Western Spectroscopy Association Conference, January 19-21, 2011, Asilomar Conference Center, Pacific Grove, CA:
• “Investigation of 2-Me-THF Oxidation Using Synchrotron Photoionization Mass Spectrometry,” Matthew McManus and Giovanni Meloni
• “Analysis of Isobutanol’s Combustion Reaction with Hydroxyl Radicals,” Qian (Cailyn) He and Giovanni Meloni
• “Effects of added "simple" salts on the intervalence-charge transfer band energies of mixed-valence ruthenium-ammine dimers such as [(NH3)5RuII-(4,4'-bpy)-RuIII(NH3)5]5+ in water: Modulation of the Franck-Condon barrier by the water structure "making" and "breaking" properties of the component ions of the added electrolyte.” Shengnan Meng, Anthony Fabrizio, Seamus Doran, Jeff C. Curtis.
• “Synchrotron Photoionization Studies of the Low-Temperature (550-750 K) Oxidation of Isopentanol,” Martin Y. Ng and Giovanni Meloni
• “Product Identification of the Low-Temperature (550-750 K) Oxidation of Isopentanol,” Martin Y. Ng and Giovanni Meloni
239th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, March 21 – 25, 2010, San Francisco, CA:
• “Study of the reactions of hydroxyl radicals with simple olefins using the Advanced Light Source in Berkeley,” Amelia Ray, David L. Osborn, Craig A. Taatjes, and Giovanni Meloni
• "Bimolecular Electron-Transfer Rate Enhancement Due to Pi-Stacking Type Interactions in the Encounter Complex Between Ruthenium Pentaammine Pyridyl Complexes in Aqueous Solution Specific to 3- and 4-phenylpyridine Ligands," Faisal Mehmood, Yishun Qin, Jeff C. Curt
• “Investigation of gamma-valerolactone’s combustion products via synchrotron photoionization,” Qian (Cailyn) He, David L. Osborn, Craig A. Taatjes, and Giovanni Meloni
Recent Faculty Presentations
(** indicates graduate student)
“Synchrotron Photoionization Mass Spectrometry: Studies on Combustion Chemistry,” invited lecture by Giovanni Meloni at the Department of Chemistry, Sacramento State University, Sacramento California, September 30, 2011.
“Indicator release assays using metal chelates immobilized on surface bound dendrimer Nanoparticles.” Presentation made by Lawrence Margerum at the 241st ACS Meeting, Anaheim, INOR: Nanoscience, March 29, 2011 and the Department of Chemistry Seminar Program, University of Pacific, April 2011 in Stockton, CA.
-“Synchrotron Photoionization Studies on Combustion Chemistry,” invited lecture by Giovanni Meloni at the Department of Chemistry, Creighton University, Omaha Nebraska, April 21, 2011.
“H1 and F19 NMR ET Self-Exchange Rate Between Ruthenium Ammine Pyridyl Complexes; Ligand Substituent and Quantum-Superexchange Catalytic Effects” Yishun Qin, Nick Magarian, Jeff C. Curtis. Poster presented by Jeff C. Curtis at the 52nd Experimental NMR Conference; March 2011 at the Asilomar Conference Center in Pacific Grove, CA.
“Combustion Chemistry: Products and Intermediates Identification via Synchrotron Photoionization,” invited lecture by Giovanni Meloni at the Department of Chemistry, University of the Pacific, Stockton California, October 19, 2010.
“Electrolyte Effects on Bimolecular Electron-Transfer Rates of Ruthenium Ammine Complexes and Evidence for Anion-Specific Quantum Superexchange Mediation of the Electronic Coupling in the Encounter Complex” Prakash Sista**, Qin Yishun**, Zhiji Han**, Mayuko Inagaki**, Sam Ju Gong Chun**, Vahid Eskandari**, Faisal Mehmood**, Jeff C. Curtis. Oral presentation made by Jeff C. Curtis at the 239th ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, March 2010 in San Francisco, CA.
"Tethered dendrimers on controlled pore glass as platforms for metal-chelate-indicator release assays.” Oral presentation made by Lawrence Margerum at the 239th ACS Meeting, San Francisco, March 21, 2010 Nanoscience: Machines, Sensors, and Switches (Chair of Session).
"Catalysis of Bimolecular Electron Transfer by Superexchange Mediation in the Encounter Complex." Invited oral presentation made by Jeff C. Curtis at the Photocatalysis and Solar Energy Conversion, Symposium in Honor of B.P. Sullivan; August 2009 at the University of Wyoming at Laramie.
“Fluorescence Spectroscopic Studies of the Interactions of Small Probe Molecules with Poly (amidoamine) Dendrimers.” Presentation made by Lawrence Margerum at the Nano Science Symposium, 237th ACS Meeting, Salt Lake City, March 22-26th, 2009 (Chair of session).