The Department of Chemistry welcomes Professor Ryan West!
The Department of Chemistry welcomes our new professor starting
in Summer 2015. Click here for his biography.
Graduate student performs research in Taiwan during the Spring 2015 semester.
Giel Muller, a graduate student in Dr. Meloni's lab, performed research at the Taiwan Light Source in Hsinchu City, Taiwan during Spring 2015. Dr. Meloni has sent other graduate students to perform research at the Paul Scherrer Institute (Swiss Light Source) near Zurich, Switzerland in the past.
Student receives the Ron Najafi NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Innovations and Entrepreneurship Award for Graduate Research.
Dr. Najafi presented graduate student,
Jonathan Liu a $1,000 award for summer research support at the chemistry
banquet in May 2014.
Dr. Giovanni Meloni receives the College of Arts and Sciences 2014 Dean’s Scholar Award in recognition of his research.
Dr. Giovanni Meloni is recognized for his research on the identification and characterization of reactive atmospheric and combustion chemical species. Utilizing
state-of-the-art techniques in computational research, Professor Meloni has
discovered several never detected molecular species including peroxy radicals
and the simplest criegge intermediate. Additionally, Professor Meloni has
investigated biofuels and their applications in reducing dependence on foreign
oil sources. Currently, Professor Meloni is investigating a unique
superalkali, and has published his findings in the Journal of Chemical Physics.
USF student wins best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the ACS National Meeting.
Joseph Czekner (in photo to the left), won the best Physical Chemistry Poster Award at the 243rd ACS National Meeting in San Diego, CA.
Recent M.S. Student Presentations
248th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, August 10-14, 2014, San Francisco, CA
- “Exploring synthetic routes to robust preparation of S-ribosyl-L-homocysteine (SRH),” Brendan Corcoran, Emily I Showell-Rouse, and Megan E Bolitho.
- “Surface modified silica nanoparticles as fluorescent chemosensors for metal ions detection,” Kateryna Lyashkevych, Lawrence Margerum, and Clara Feider.
- “FTIR analysis of biofuel and atmospheric aerosol interactions,” Audrey R. Smith, Giel Muller, and Giovanni Meloni.
- “Low temperature oxidation of furfural using synchrotron photoionization mass spectroscopy,” Rong Yao, Gabrielle Anne L Laguisma, David Osborn, Craig Taatjes, Giovanni Meloni.
- “Metal ion detection through terpyridine functionalized dye doped silica nanoparticles,” Jonathan J. Liu and Lawrence D. Margerum.
247th ACS National Meeting and Exposition, March 16-20, 2014, Dallas, TX
- “Investigation of oxidation reaction products of 2-phenylethanol using synchrotron photoionization,” Magaly Wooten, Anthony Medrano, David L. Osborn, Craig A. Taatjes, and Giovanni Meloni.