The University Student Learning Assurance Committee (USLAC) serves the vital function of overall coordination for all student learning assurance projects at USF. The USLAC reports directly to the Provost. In response to the strategic priorities set by the USF Leadership Team, the USLAC establishes yearly student learning assurance activities within four main areas of interest: institutional strategic goals, program/service quality and effectiveness, the student/alumni experience, and student learning (see below). The Provost or his/her designee takes responsibility for informing other divisions of the University of the results and implications of the various student learning assurance projects.
The mission for the University Student Learning Assurance Committee (USLAC) shall be to promote excellence of the University of San Francisco academic and non-academic units through the development of a faculty and staff led student learning assurance process. The primary function of the USLASC shall be to advise, support and oversee student-centered learning processes and to provide USF leadership with current and accurate reporting on the USF student experience.
The primary goals of the USLAC in meeting its mission shall be to systematically analyze:
- the learning experiences of our students.
- the transference and application of learning.
- the assessment and evaluation of what our students are learning.
- steps that should be taken to assure students are learning.
- the achievement of a mission driven student-centered process.
- the assessment of non-academic, co-curricular, and alumni activities as related to learning.
The charge given the USLAC by the Provost shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Report on University wide measures for Institutional goals and outcomes.
- Oversee all Student Learning Assurance Plans.
- Work collaboratively with the WASC steering committee on all matters concerning the student experience.
- Oversee the preparation and processing for data reported for all WASC related activities.
- Provide the Leadership Team with current and accurate reporting on the USF student experience.
- Initiate and encourage student learning assurance activities throughout the University.
- Make recommendations for improving student learning assurance activities and the application of results.
University Student Learning Assurance Committee Membership
This University Student Learning Assurance Committee (USLAC) shall include the following people with expertise and interest in student learning assurance and improving the student experience:
- Vice Provost for Institutional Planning, Budget and Effectiveness (Ana Karaman, Chair)
- Director of Student Learning Assurance (Bill Murry)
- Associate Vice Provost Academic Effectiveness (Alan Ziajka)
- Assistant Vice President for University Life
- Associate Director, Office of Institutional Analytics (Fred Baldwin)
- Student Learning Assurance representatives from each of the following schools:
- School of Education,
- College of Arts and Sciences, Associate Dean, Faculty Scholarship and Academic Effectiveness, A&S (Shirley McGuire)
- School of Nursing,
- School of Management,
The chairperson of the group shall be appointed by the Provost selected from among the group members.