USFers came together for April Action service days in more than a dozen locations last month.
More than 150 USFers tapped into their giving spirit and joined the university’s April Action community service campaign this year.
Students, alumni, faculty, and staff volunteered at 13 locations from Seattle to Los Angeles from April 2 to 26, making breakfast for the homeless, packaging food for distribution to families in need, and playing volleyball with injured military veterans. Others cleaned up Golden Gate Park and Mount Sutro in San Francisco, worked with special needs athletes, or brought their construction tools to rebuild a sundeck at a therapeutic equestrian center.
USFers give back
“April Action has become one of our most popular events, with alumni joining the effort in their hometowns up and down the West Coast. It just goes to show how much USF students and alumni want to give back,” said Kique Bazan, associate director for global social justice and community action for University Ministry, which sponsored the event with Alumni Relations.
USF students and alumni in and around San Francisco volunteered at:
- Alameda County Community Food Bank, Oakland — Packaging food
- Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano, Concord — Packaging food
- Giant Steps Therapeutic Equestrian Center, Petaluma — Rebuilding a sundeck
- Golden Gate Park, San Francisco — Cleaning up and maintaining trails
- Mount Sutro Open Space Preserve, San Francisco — Cleaning up and maintaining trails
- Special Olympics, San Mateo — Assisting at a swim meet at the College of San Mateo
- San Francisco Veterans Medical Center — Playing adaptive volleyball with recovering patients
- St. Anthony's Padua Dining Room, Menlo Park — Preparing and serving meals
- St. Ignatius Church, San Francisco — Preparing and serving meals
- St. Vincent de Paul, San Francisco — Preparing and serving breakfast
From Los Angeles to Seattle
Beyond San Francisco, USFers volunteered at:
- Downtown Women’s Center, Los Angeles — Helping with maintenance and housekeeping
- Francis House Center, Sacramento — Beautifying the center and property
- St. Francis House, Seattle — Improving and beautifying the property
by Ed Carpenter | Office of Communications and Marketing »email firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter @usfcanews