In support of the university’s mission, USF recognizes that faculty, staff and the organization benefit when employees are better equipped to meet the competing demands of work, family and everyday life, and that the university has a role to play in helping the USF community achieve greater balance.
Space limitations and geographical constraints of our main San Francisco campus are such that we are not able to provide childcare onsite, however in support of employees with young children, the university offers a generous subsidy for full-time faculty and staff to help meet the cost of pre-first grade childcare.
USF’s Childcare Subsidy Program is designed to recognize the university’s distributed campus model, and that our employees live in a wide range of locations across the Bay Area. As such, it provides employees with the flexibility to choose a childcare provider at a location that suits their family’s needs, and provides a subsidy amount to contribute to the costs of that childcare.
- Faculty and staff must be employed full-time to be eligible for the subsidy. Subsidy levels are determined based on faculty rank or staff salary. Employees receive the full subsidy amount for their rank or salary level for their first eligible child and an additional 75% of their initial amount for subsequent eligible children, up to a maximum of $5,000 per year.
- Funds are added to employees’ Dependent Daycare Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) through the FSA vendor. Total Childcare Subsidy and Dependent Daycare FSA contributions may not exceed $5,000 per family during 2014. Reimbursement requests must meet the IRS criteria for qualified daycare expenses.
- Employees are eligible for the Childcare Subsidy the first of the month following their date of hire.
- If both parents work at USF, only one parent can apply for the Childcare Subsidy.
- If a child enters first grade in the fall of the upcoming year, employees are only eligible for eight months of the Childcare Subsidy (January through August).
2014 Childcare Subsidy Rates
|Faculty and Librarians
|Instructors, Assistant Professors and Assistant Librarians
|Associate Professors and Associate Librarians
|Professors and Librarians
|Staff (Administrative, OPE, Laborers & Gardeners/Local 1877, Stationary Engineers/Local 39, Public Safety)
|Annual Salary $90,192 or less
|Annual Salary $90,193 to $111,636
|Annual Salary $111,637 to $143,535
Employees are eligible to apply for the USF Childcare Subsidy within the first 30 days following childbirth, adoption or foster placement of child. Eligibility is contingent on you and your spouse returning to work. If you are currently receiving the Subsidy for one child, and you give birth to or adopt a second child during the year, you must re-apply for the USF Childcare Subsidy in order to receive the subsidy for your second child.
If you do no meet either of these deadlines, your next chance for enrollment will be Open Enrollment. Open enrollment takes place every fall and changes made during Open Enrollment are effective January 1st.
Submit the online application when you’re ready to apply.