Purpose of the Fair
& Internship Fair is an excellent opportunity for you to explore and
discuss career and internship positions with representatives from a variety of
companies and organizations. It also
provides you with a chance to develop valuable contacts with key
individuals. Your reasons for attending
this event might include: acquiring information to help you make decisions
about your career, making contacts which may lead to an internship or full-time
position, and learning more about the opportunities in a given field for
someone with your skills, interests and experience.
What to Do
- Familiarize yourself with organizations about which
you have little or no knowledge
professionally (see our Professional
positive, enthusiastic and self-confident; greet each employer with a handshake
and a smile
a list of questions to ask that are important to you
to take the lead in the conversation
prepared to talk about your skills, interest and/or background
several copies of your updated resume; you may wish to leave off an objective
the company representative’s business card and follow-up with a letter to those
companies with which you would like to pursue job or internship opportunities
SUGGESTED QUESTIONS TO ASK
1. Would you tell me about your company
and the types of skills and experience you are seeking?
2. How does this company differ from
3. What divisions do you have?
4. In which divisions are new college
grads most likely to be hired?
5. What do you like most about working
for this organization?
6. What advice would you give to
someone who wants to break into this field?
1. What are the areas of growth?
2. What should I know about your
industry and/or organization before applying for a position?
3. With what professional associations
do you suggest I become involved?
4. What publications or periodicals
should I be reading in order to acquaint myself with what is happening industry-wide?
1. What are the entry-level
opportunities? or What opportunities
exist for candidates with prior work experience?
2. What are the skills that are most
important for a position in the field?
3. What are the advancement
4. What type of training is given to
people entering this field?
5. Are there immediate openings in your
company? If not, what do you anticipate
as the future opportunities?